Penwortham Mill

Penwortham Mill

In 1785, John Watson built Penwortham Mill on Factory Lane. This was a textile factory which included weaving and fabric production. The factory was originally powered by a water mill running off a stream that fed into the Ribble.

Owners of large textile mills purchased large numbers of children from workhouses and orphanages in all the larger towns and cities, including London. By the late 1790s, about a third of the workers in the cotton industry were children and known as pauper apprentices. Penwortham Mill was purchased by Vernon Carus in 1915 and specialised in the manufacture of surgical lint. A product which was in massive demand during the First World War. The mill has been standing idle for number of years and has been set for demolition in the first quarter of 2019. The project involves Asbestos Removal followed by a full mechanical demolition of all upstanding. The reservoir borders the mill and all efforts have been made by the client and the demolition contractor to manage the heritage.

What we did
PERSES team has served expertise in the pre-demolition stage and through the projects to assist with the
following:

  1. Attend Meetings with the Client.
  2. Attend Pre-demolition Meetings.
  3. Establishing Safe Exclusion Zones
  4. Demolition Methodology and Phasing.
  5. Periodical Safety Audits.